Construction and Real Estate Litigation
Experienced Construction Attorneys
Construction and development along with real estate comprises a significant portion of our practice. We handle all aspects of construction law and represent a large variety of clients, commercial and residential developers, general contractors, and subcontractors.
When construction disputes arise, they tend to involve multiple parties and complicated facts. We quickly sort through the issues to help our clients identify all possible solutions and the associated costs. Our vast experience enables us to work closely with our clients to find options that provide meaningful results.
Our well-developed real estate practice is equipped to take on any type of case, large or small. We assist both residential and commercial property owners and developers with a diversity of legal matters.
The construction industry is one that involves substantial risk and exposure to significant liability. For over 40 years, we have handled construction cases on behalf of contractors, developers and subcontractors. Our representation extends to both residential and commercial construction claims.
We help contractors, owners, and subcontractors manage risk and minimize liability associated with construction disputes. Our experience includes construction defects, insurance, breach of contract, change orders, mechanic’s liens, site accidents, stay notices, employment disputes, delay and acceleration claims.
We also assist our construction clients with construction contract drafting and risk management issues.
Our well-developed real estate practice is equipped to take on any type of case, large or small. We assist both residential and commercial property owners and developers with a variety of legal matters.
Commercial Real Estate
We represent commercial landlords and developers as well as hotels and resorts in a range of real estate matters. We draft, enforce, and defend numerous contracts and agreements, including purchase agreements, leases, insuring agreements and other important documents. We also provide representation to clients enforcing and defending easements and other covenants.
Residential Real Estate
Our residential real estate clients include property owners and real estate brokers who confront a number of issues including easements, boundary disputes, failure to disclose claims, trespass and nuisance. In one notable case, we obtained a $325,000 verdict on behalf of a seller wrongfully accused of failing to disclose construction defects in a multimillion dollar residence.
Approachable, Accessible, Dependable
These are our core values – what sets us apart from big firms that favor size over service. Our attorneys are more than just names on our letterhead. At Lucas & Haverkamp, we do everything in our power to ensure our clients’ goals are furthered by our representation. Call us today at (858) 535-4000 to learn more about who we are and what we do.
Significant Real Estate and Construction Litigation Results and Engagements:
- $2 million recovery for Aviara Four Seasons Resort in construction dispute involving collapsing bridges.
- Recovered $400,000 for general contractor in construction payment dispute with owner concerning construction of large computer chip manufacturing plant.
- Successfully resolved multiple lawsuits as counsel for mechanical contractor relating to natural gas explosion at high rise hotel which injured 19 workers and caused $17 million in property damage.
- Jury verdict and recovery of all attorney fees for general contractor against subcontractors including collapse of roadway and emergency repairs to meet supermarket’s grand opening.
- Defeated claims against developer in class action for unfair business practices and fraud involving 110 luxury homes in Del Mar area.
- Successfully defended national land developer in soil subsidence case at 100 plus home development in La Jolla.
- $325,000 construction delay recovery for general contractor against architect and engineer.
- Represented general contractor in multi-million dollar construction defect claim involving famed oceanfront high rise in Santa Monica.
- Successfully defended developer and general contractor in expansive soils case at 400 home project in Orange County.
- Defense verdict for concrete subcontractor sued by building owner for alleged improper concrete pour.
- Defense verdict for realtor accused of wrongful failure to disclose.
- Defense verdict for lemon orchard operator in flood damage claim of adjacent property owner.